Sunday, January 2, 2011

Reviewing my yearly goals 2011

This time last year, and the year before, I looked back at my goals for the year before and set my intentions for the year to come.

Time to take that journey again.

This is what I started out with twelve months ago:

Goal: Capture the memories (was become a better photographer)
Strategies 2010
- always have a camera with me (DSLR, compact point and shoot or Blackberry)
- commit to the Project 365 and take a photo every day of the year.
- commit to Project Life and create scrapbook of the 365 photos.
- continue to scrapbook my way through photo prints and maintain current albums
- journal more, blog more, remember more!

Goal: Be as healthy as I can (now incorporating Enjoy More Yoga)
Strategies 2010
- Enjoy regular yoga: twice weekly classes where practical
- Continue water aerobics at least once and preferably twice weekly
- Eat less, move more
- Eat fruit, drink water
- Walk instead of driving
- Regularly use Wii Fit to chart progress.
- Lose weight at a safe and steady pace
- Swim for pleasure and movement (review need for ongoing classes)

So, how did they hold up? Not too badly, as it happens!


Goal: Capture the memories

Well, I lugged cameras with me all over the place in 2010 - my DSLR mostly, but also upgraded to a smaller point and shoot to go in my handbag and had my BB when I really needed to travel light. And I took 365 days of photos and compiled my Project Life album.

I didn't scrapbook as much as I would have liked - although I did achieve the LOAD (LayOut A Day) challenge in February, not long after that, my scrapping mojo went walkabout. I limped through the year scrapbooking little but capturing plenty of photos and memories for when the mojo gets back. I did blog more and collected plenty of memorabilia, but didn't start journalling.

Goal: Be as healthy as I can
Not too bad - regularly got to yoga once a week and the barrier to doing so twice-weekly was more to do with time-tabling than motivation. I did move to taking a second water aerobics class in  third term and my only regret is that took so much time procrastinating to do. And I began using time pre-class to swim laps - baby-laps, but laps none the less! I quit lessons because they were making me feel bad about what I couldn't do, so instead I started to focus on what I could do! At the bigger pool, I have mainly done back stroke, but at the smaller pool have started doing "my" breaststroke and have actually made progress!

I turned a big corner eating-wise when I rediscovered raw/whole foods and mostly I do well with breakfast, not too bad with dinner and less successful with lunch (I don't always ensure I have healthy options with me at work or make time to eat on busy days.) I started juicing again and found new ways to get extra fruit into my diet - including my super smoothie breakfasts - which even include spinach! I didn't get very far with the Wii once the summer holidays ended and my weight has been up and down, despite best intentions leading up to the wedding! But I think I ended the year weighing less that I started - the only time I ever weigh myself is when the Wii makes me - I rely more on how my clothes fit!

So - back to the future!
I am happy with my two goals, with the addition of a third and the revision of some strategies:

Goal: Capture the memories 
Strategies 2011
- always have a camera with me (DSLR, compact point and shoot or Blackberry)
- continue to scrapbook my way through photo prints and maintain current albums
- journal OFTEN, blog DAILY, remember more!
- create more - experiment with art journalling.

Goal: Be as healthy as I can 
Strategies 2011
- Enjoy regular yoga: twice weekly classes
- Continue water aerobics twice weekly
- Eat less, move more
- Eat fruit, drink water
- Walk instead of driving
- Explore getting my bike back in order and ride for pleasure
- Lose weight at a safe and steady pace
- Swim for pleasure and movement 

Goal: Invent the rest of my life (countdown to lift-off 29/7/2013)
Strategies 2011
- Establish a regular saving practice
- Take stock of all possessions 
- Explore options for life after 50 
- Plan for independent living as my nest empties
- Work out what I want to do when I grow up!

You will see I have added a whole new perspective to my goal-setting - my word for the year is CHANGE and I am embracing all that it means now and in my future.  The concept of a Second Adulthood really appeals to me and I am heading directly to one!

Same time next year :)

1 comment:

shirlnutkin said...

i love that you shared your goals. mine that i shared take on a little different format than yours. after reading yours, and esp. the your post on one word - CHANGE, i am going to infuse a theme word among my goals. for reverb10 (day 1), one word was the theme. i had enthusiasm as my 2011 word, so i'll see if that actually fits my yhd 2011 goals!