Saturday, January 7, 2012

HEAL - my word for 2012

Like many others out there, each year I choose a word that focuses what I want to achieve in the upcoming twelve months. Last year, it was CHANGE, the year before ENJOY and the one before that was CREATE.

My word for 2012 is HEAL.

I was frustrated in 2011 that many of my goals and objectives were thwarted by the one thing outside my ability to control - the fluctuations of my health. This made for a disappointing year, even though there were many great moments and achievements.

When I catalogue my health woes - when I first meet with a new health professional for example - I ruefully laugh that I still consider myself a "healthy" person, even as we work our way through the following list:

  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Fibromyalgia
  • Spondylolethisis
  • Thyroid Cysts
  • Depression
  • Fainting episodes
  • Chronic back/neck/shoulder pain
  • Early signs of osteo arthritis
  • Peri-menopause
Perhaps my greatest frustration last year was that some of these conditions were aggravated to an extent that they impacted on my ability to participate in activities which I do to improve the conditions! So my regular yoga and aqua exercise classes fell by the wayside, due to pain and fatigue, at precisely the time I needed them most. As I moved less, my back problems increased their impact on my ability to move more and by the end of the year, I was investigating additional health services to stop the cycle.

So, you can see that this year I need to refocus on my health, prioritizing both self- and professional- care and taking a holistic approach to every aspect of mind, body and spirit.

Healing my body is priority number one. Please note, I am not saying "cure" as the majority of the above are chronic and (currently) without cure. However, all are improved with attention to diet, exercise and lifestyle. This means:
  • Continuing with my regular body-work therapies: chiropractic, myotherapy and, now, physiotherapy. 
  • Returning to my regular physical activities: yoga, aqua and walking. Continuing the pilates exercises with my physio and looking at a possible pilates class in the future.
  • Improving on my dietary changes: clean eating, wholefoods and conscious food choices and embracing others: I have consulted a naturopath who has reviewed my supplements and we are going to explore allergies and intolerances which may be factors. Continuing with the Radiant Goddess Course which I have mostly incorporated into my life on a permanent basis. Exploring the Jelinek MS diet and deciding if I can embrace this long-term.
  • Reviewing my mental health management: my GP has changed me to a new anti-depressant and I am currently looking for a counsellor to help me work through some issues. I also hope to use art journalling more to help with this. 
  • I have created an inspiration board on Pinterest to keep me on track, motivate and inspire me.
Along with my "team" who I seem to spend most of my non-working weekdays with - my Chriopractor Shady, Myotherapist Laurence, Physiotherapist Angela, Naturopath Jane, yoga teacher Julia, aqua teacher Jo and GP Jenny, my online support team on Facebook and in the blogosphere and IRL friends and family are a key part of my strategic plan, so feel free to nag me or praise me as required!!!



 

2 comments:

Cindy Jones Lantier said...

I have several chronic conditions, too, so I really related to your post. I hope to get a better handle on my issues this year too. I wish you well!

Diane said...

I hope you find health, healing and happiness in 2013. Sounds like you are on the right path.