Sunday, December 12, 2010

Reverb10 - December 11 – 11 Things

December 11 – 11 Things
What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?
(Author: Sam Davidson)
1 - Perfection
I am so much better than I used to be, but I am still dogged by feeling a sense of let-down or failure if I do something less than 100%. This doesn't fit with my "glass half-full" philosophy.
2 - Multi-tasking
I am reading more and more articles telling me that single-tasking (otherwise known as "focus"!) is more productive. As my brain ages and/or the MS affects it (or both!) I am finding I cannot keep as many plates spinning at once as I used to. Rather than drop the extra plates, I need to start spinning them one at a time.
3 - Clutter
Always, always, always! No matter how much I declutter, it slowly creeps back. I want to lighten my load so I am ready for anything and that means revisiting all my belongings again. And again!
4 - Lethargy
There is so much I want to do, so much I could do - and so many days I can't be much bothered to do anything. It is easy to blame my health or my busy life, but how many times is it really just my get-up-and-go actually got-up-and-left? Structured goal setting seems my best tool to fight this.
5 - Procrastination
Maybe this is really 4A - the two are inter-related. I am getting around to so many things, honest, really. Like the tattoo I promised myself when I turned 40 ... seven years ago! Mountains are usually only mole-hills, just get over them!
Circa 2008, um ...

6 - Comfort zone
What if the other side is actually heaps better? How will I ever know if I don't step out and give it a try? Look at things that have become part of my life in recent years - there are so many more that could join them!
7 - Weakness
Physical! I pushed the limits with my fitness this year and it felt good, yet how quickly I slid back down when ill health interrupted me. Maybe that is just how it will always be and I should accept a wave affect rather than a steady climb? Maybe three steps forward, two steps back is still progress? Maybe baby steps still reach the finish line?
8 - Laziness
Yep, I am a lazy sod sometimes. It doesn't take much to get in the way of my good intentions - if the blender wasn't washed yesterday, it is easier to just have toast instead of my super-smoothie, even though I know one is a much better breakfast choice for my day. Keeping up with the cycle of fresh food coming in and good meals being created is hard work and Refrigerator Zero takes commitment. Note to self - just bloody do it and stop moaning!
9 - World Wide (Time) Waster!
Just because I can easily be online and do so much doesn't mean this is always the best use of my time. I need to disconnect more, read Mount-To-Be-Read, get that scrapbooking done, clean out the fridge ... 
10 - Disorganisation
Aren't I supposed to be the organising queen? Of course - do as I say, not as I do! When life gets busy, my systems easily slide and create stress and extra work. Need to stay near the top of things, don't need to be on top but should not be underneath either!
11 - Negative self-talk
Have you read what you have written above, woman? Give yourself a break! How about focusing on what you want to keep in your life in 2011??? mmm ...

2 comments:

Square-Peg Karen said...

Ohmyword! I see myself in so many of those 11 -- and also in the wise words toward the end: " Give yourself a break!" - lol.

Here's to more kindness to ourselves in 2011. Who knows - maybe #'s 1-11 will take care of themselves if we're nicer to ourselves all around (we could make this an experiment!?!).

shirlnutkin said...

yvette ... great you're looking to positive self-talk - and from out here in california ... i really appreciate the flow and evolution of your 11 things to eliminate ... 2011 is going to be great with your glass half-full, focus, and pats on the back/positive self-talk! (reading what you wrote made me remember someone telling me one time - Follow One Course Until Successful - FOCUS) thanks for being part of reverb10! and it's o.k. that you've joined a little later - jump in when you can. i'm looking forward to popping by and will check out your blog.

(p.s. omg ... i'm 47 also! it's a great prime number, eh? here's my l'il tongue in cheek take on 47 years.