Saturday, December 11, 2010

I believe in magic

Do you believe in Santa? In fairies at the bottom of the garden? In making wishes on stars, birthday candles or four leafed clovers?

I do. And I like hanging out with others who do too!

A Davec Workshop at my yoga school in June 2010
symphisisyoga.com.au/
taught by Wendy from dirtscapedreaming.com.au

Davecs are beautiful, mischevious, playful garden spirits. They are the little elves and fairies we all imagine to be flitting around the garden spreading their loving energy all around. 
This Davec home is their domain, created to be the hub of their energy and the focus of ours. While being delighted at the sight of something so very special, we lose ourselves in what might be and find our own spirits lifted. Welcome little Davecs!
And I brought my children up to do so, as well.

Some people disapprove of parents telling tales to children about strange men in red suits sneaking into their house in the middle of the night; tiny women on gossamer wings watching for the moment their teeth fall out or the concept of a rabbit hiding chocolate eggs in the garden. It is their right to do so and I wish them all the best. But I ask them not to judge my choices either.

You see, I believe folk-lore to be an important part of my heritage and that of my children. Whether it is ancient folk tales about a kindly man distributing gifts or celebrating my Celtic traditions of fairies and other little-folk living alongside humans, together they weave a mystical world of joy and surprise and fun.

When Melissa was nearly three, we were living in a house with an open fireplace and Santa was not very good about wiping his feet as he exited, leaving huge, sooty footprints to the tree and back. That little girl was enchanted, not frightened and when we moved to a house without a fireplace, quickly accepted the alternate methods of key-less entry! Santa didn't bring all of the gifts, just a few and he still visits her now: she is 26!




In fact, none of my now-adult offspring have ever suggested that we pack away the stockings and Santa sacks, as these are part of OUR family traditions. The birth of Jesus is acknowledged and the children allowed to make their own choices of belief and faith as they grew: tonight, Melissa is off to celebrate the Summer Solstice with her pagan friends.

I spoke with a six year old girl today, who has a wobbly tooth! I told her of the time both the Tooth Fairy AND Santa came to our house on the same night (I had already sussed out the family policy) and the look of joyful anticipation on her face was so delightful. Oh, to be six and still allowed the magic.

About ten years ago, we had a French exchange student staying with us at Easter. She and Melissa were 16, Kaitlyn 12 and Kieran just 9. Sonia was very excited on Easter Sunday to discover chocolate eggs hidden in the garden - the fact that my children knew they arrived via Bunny and she believed they were dropped by Bells was accepted by all and so each learned the traditions of the other. And none complained about being up at dawn and trekking around the garden with baskets in hand.

So, whatever your beliefs, whether they involve magical visitors or a frank exchange of gifts between humans, always respect that others think differently. Be careful what you say to children of any age.

Me, I am just waiting until I can buy one of these :) I have just the tree in the garden and the fairies will be delighted.

http://www.facebook.com/MyLittleFairyDoor

1 comment:

Sammy Lee said...

Thank you for sharing I am completely inspired! xx