Friday, December 23, 2011

Connections

I was at an event the other day where a woman made a disparaging remark about someone she knew who had 300 Facebook Friends, saying she never made time to see any of them so they weren't really friends.

I chose not to announce I have over 1200 Friends, as I got the feeling she wouldn't understand!

So - I got to thinking and wondering if I should hurriedly cull my Friends list just to people I see regularly IRL. And that thought made me sad.

I don't think friendship can any longer only be defined in terms of those you people you know from traditional networks like school, workplace or social /sporting groups etc. The internet has allowed us to connect with like-minded people beyond geographic boundaries. How far we have come from that time when you knew those in your village and that was about it! Our village has grown to encompass the whole world and I think that is a wonderful thing.

Through social media, I have connected with people interested in many of the things I enjoy - from breastfeeding support through scrap-booking, photography, reading, family history, writing, art and more. I have "met" wonderful women who I know I could spend HOURS chatting with, if it wasn't for the fact we live on opposite sides of the globe! And the fact we will (probably) never sit down over a cup of tea and talk doesn't lessen the reality of our friendship.

Not only am I connected with old friends and new, but my family bonds are strengthened through sites like Facebook. How else could I keep track of cousins around the country and beyond? Rather than extended family being distant, it is like we all live close by.

So yes - every single Friend I have online is a friend indeed. And it isn't about the numbers or who has the most friends - it is about making connections which make my days shine and my heart feel full.

Thank you to everyone who takes time to read my Ramblings - this is for you. Merry Christmas




4 comments:

Alannah said...

Merry Christmas, friend, to you and all the family too. Thanks to the beauty of social media, I have made new friends and even got to meet most of them IRL. Cheers A

Moira said...

Where's the blogger 'like' button? Well said!!

Fiona Tellesson said...

As an old "friend" who lost touch...I feel privileged to be able to share our lives again.

I don't have 1200 fb friends...but who cares if I did?

Thank you for sharing and being honest!!!

"You've got a friend in me..."

Have a wonderful festive season, how ever you choose to celebrate!

Lori-Lyn said...

Thank you, friend!